Is this water block defected?

Is this water block defected?

Hello, Watercool.

I'm here to ask you whether this water block I bought is defective or normal.
      On Feb. 10th, I placed 'Watercool HEATKILLER IV PRO CPU Water Block for Threadripper, AMD CPU (Socket sTR4), Copper Nickel' from 'solo.photography' in Amazon and received it yesterday.

As you can see the pictures below, some piece of metal is stick to the edge of the G1/4 hole's spiral helix.
      It seems the threading process wasn't tidy done, so this scrap still left on the end of the screw thread.
      This untidy part made me doubt its quality, so I tested it with EK leak tester to check whether it can leak water as well.
      And I could find that air slightly escapes from the water block.
      (As I didn't use plug fitting to block up the hole, but with my finger, I should test it again with plug fitting)

To check it in more detail, I disassembled the water block likes below.
      Here is the video I uploaded on Youtube (only people who entered via this link can watch the video), and pictures of disassembling.

# Video:
      # Pictures with detail explanation: imgur.com/a/89AwTue
      (Please read the script on each picture of Imgur as well)

As you can see, both the video and the pictures on Imgur I uploaded, several odd points are on the water block.
      But the most significant points I seriously concern are a white-colored stain on each end of the microchannel and the small but many scratches in each interval of the microchannel.

Furthermore, there is some liquid covered on the side of a thin steel plate between the top part and base part of the water block. It seems like oil, but I don't know why oil is on the surface of that steel plate. If you know about this, please tell me about it as well.

So, did the water block already suffer corrosion?
      If it's surely eroded and defected, you think, what should I do?
      I wish I can replace it from Amazon, where I bought a water block, but it seems the product I purchased was the last one, and now it's out of stock.
      I sincerely need this one right now, so I check the stock on PPSC as well, but it was out of stock, too.
      In case it's confirmed as defective, can you send me the replacement instead?

If it's not defected and at a healthy state, please explain to me why it's not defected and safe to use.
      I'll wait for your answer.
      Thanks.

p.s.
      About the leakage test with plug fittings, I'll test it after a few hours and attach the video.

Post was edited 4 times, last by “James Nikin” ().

Hello James Nikin,
      the metal splinter at the end of the thread is a reminiscence of the machining. It is usually removed by our staff, seems like it was overlooked on this piece. You can just grab it with small pliers and remove it.

The small step in the corner of the coldplate is normal. This is part of the machining process and cannot be avoided. It does not impact performance whatsoever.

The white staining, the multiple particles in the fins and the moisture on the jetplate are signs that the waterblock has been used. There are also scratch marks on the coldplate where the springs were sitting. This block has been used and installed.

Judging by your pictures, it is used, but not defective. It is impossible to tell what the white residue is. I would suggest to contact the seller via amazon and ask them about it. I don't think that there is any corrosion yet.
      Is there a customized HEATKILLER water block for my...
      GPU | Motherboard

Follow us on...
      Twitter | facebook | instagram

Jakob wrote:

Judging by your pictures, it is used, but not defective. It is impossible to tell what the white residue is. I would suggest to contact the seller via amazon and ask them about it. I don't think that there is any corrosion yet.

hello,

@James Nikin alerted me to this thread. i was the person who sold this block on amazon. it was one of the 20+ new blocks i bought directly from you guys in 2020 so far. the block was not used, never even opened (that build was cancelled).

i have 5 more TR4 black-nickel blocks on the way via fedex right now for 3990X builds, order 17201. is this something i will have to check for going forward? do you guys run a cooling liquid through them to test for leaks before shipping? could that be it?